Sunday, July 29, 2012

What teaching means to me

My outlook on teaching is quite different. For me, teaching is neither a job, nor a profession.  It is a unique hobby in life which requires the greatest sacrifice. Teaching is a service from heart dedicated to an individual, society and the country at large.

A mere setting of worker and workplace is not enough when the ultimate outcome preferred is education. Teaching-learning process will never be perfect unless teaching is passion for the one who teaches because teaching is all allied with mind and emotion of a teacher and learners where enthusiasm must come from the heart.

Truly, teaching cannot be a lucrative occupation as well, for the reason that nobody can pay teachers enough.  If teaching is measured in monetary terms, teachers deserve all the riches of the world. But where do we put an end to our demands and begin to do our job whole-heartedly? My genuine interest in teaching is the greatest motivator for me to join this noble profession. Or else, no wealth and power can completely inspire me from joining this onerous and difficult job.

Quite often, the convoluted education system disappoints me. But, as soon as I step into the classroom, so many cute innocent faces looking at me like chicks greeting their mother touches my heart. By then, I overlook on all the involvedness of teaching and starts developing unique enthusiasm from the core of my heart to hold the candlelight for our future citizens.

I believe that the teacher has a unique opportunity to serve the Tsawasum. I realized that my strong respect for our sublime religion and benevolent kings will never be expressed completely unless I become a teacher. Apart from taking up one of the noblest professions anywhere in the world, I can help ease the teacher shortage in the country. With my utmost enthusiasm and commitment, I will strive to make a great difference to our struggling education system. By and large, the teaching profession makes an immense contribution to the country’s progress, and this is what gratifies me at the end of the day.

Even from the Buddhist perspective, there is no nobler profession than teaching. Teaching anything with good intention is considered a virtuous act, and considered the greatest form of alms-giving. I may sound overtly philosophical, but teaching gives one the greatest chance of accumulating spiritual virtues.

The beauty of teaching today seems to be hidden in the half-hearted performance. One has to work hard to feel the real fun and excitement of it. Only a teacher who teaches with commitment and enthusiasm will experience its real flavour. If we are looking for the kind of job that can keep us survive today, and build our way to nirvana, then we should join teaching.

2 comments:

  1. What a positive perspective!Bravo. Should Bhutanese education proliferate beyond dreams, credit goes to the silent, unsung heroes like you because i know hows its like to be a teacher especially in a place like Tsirangtoe LSS. Hats off for you....Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
    and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab
    inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had
    to tell someone!

    my web blog; get a cash loan

    ReplyDelete